Database and Systems Administrator
This role will be responsible for providing support for the Division’s core systems, including (but not limited to) a project administration application. Reporting to the Senior Technical Specialist and working closely with the Technical Analyst, the Systems and the Database Administrator, the role holder will perform key administrative tasks such as adding or removing users, assigning the correct profiles to new roles, or making sure that the policies and procedures are being correctly followed. They will also be an advisor to the Division with regard to functionality of the business systems, producing and updating system documentation and liaising with Business Leads, Managers, user contacts and working parties ensuring that requirements are understood and where appropriate solutions agreed.
The role holder will need to have a good understanding of the business area and expert knowledge of the supported application. Many IT solutions within department are unique to the division and require regular local support, this role helps ensure that the quality of service provision is provided locally.
- To support the Division with all the core administration systems and to investigate issues raised and track to resolution.
- To establish the needs of users and monitoring user access and security.
- To plan, manage and maintain data standards across the Division’s core administrative systems, including adherence to the Data Protection Act etc.
- To write system/database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata). Ensure that such documentation is kept under strict change control and is up to date at all times.
- To control access permissions and privileges including developing and assigning user profiles
- Prepare and participate in internal testing. Develop test scenarios and scripts together with the Technical Analyst and co-ordinate user testing activity as appropriate. Provide post-implementation support for any changes.
- To assist in commissioning and installing new applications and customising existing applications in order to make them fit for purpose.
- To communicate systems issues and experiences to the Division’s systems user community.
- To record all system developments and regularly update the stakeholders on progress and time scale.
- To provide the first line of support to users for questions relating to the use of core administrative systems.
- To share knowledge of IT security and information management best practice
- Working knowledge of database management systems (DBMS), database technologies and structured query language (SQL) is desirable.
- Project Management skills.
- Ability to understand and document process and procedures in an IT context.
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications – in particular Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio.
- Experience in all areas of database administration.
- User training.
- System documentation and report writing
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely.